Attaching a Camera to an RC Car: A Step-by-Step Guide
RC cars are a popular hobby for kids and adults alike. In recent years, the trend of attaching cameras to RC cars has gained popularity, allowing enthusiasts to capture unique footage and gain a new perspective of their RC car’s movements. Whether it’s for personal enjoyment or to share online, attaching a camera to an RC car can provide a fun and exciting way to capture footage of your car in action. However, selecting the right camera and mounting it properly can be a daunting task, especially for those new to the hobby. In this article, we will discuss the steps on how to attach a camera to an RC car, including selecting the camera, mounting it, and properly securing it to ensure smooth footage. By the end of this article, readers will have the knowledge they need to attach a camera to their RC car and capture unique and exciting footage of their car in action.
Selecting the camera
When it comes to selecting a camera for your RC car, there are several options to choose from, including:
- Action cameras: These are small, durable cameras that are popular for sports and outdoor activities. They are ideal for capturing high-quality footage and can be mounted to the RC car using a variety of mounts.
- Mini cameras: These are small, lightweight cameras that are designed specifically for use with RC cars. They are often cheaper than action cameras and easy to mount.
- Smartphone cameras: If you already own a smartphone with a good camera, you can mount it to your RC car and use it to capture footage. You may need to purchase a specific mount to attach your phone to the car.
Each option has its pros and cons and will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular camera options include the GoPro Hero 9, DJI Osmo Action, and Insta360 Go.
Mounting the camera
Once you’ve selected the camera, the next step is to mount it to your RC car. There are several mounting options available, including:
- Suction mount: This type of mount uses suction cups to secure the camera to the car.
- Clamp mount: A clamp mount allows you to attach the camera to various parts of the car’s chassis.
- Adhesive mount: An adhesive mount sticks directly to the car’s body or chassis and is a popular option for mini cameras.
Again, each option has its advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider the type of camera you have and the activities you plan on doing with your RC car. Some popular mounts brands include the Fat Gecko Suction Mount and the GoPro Roll Bar Mount.
Securing the camera
One of the most important steps in attaching a camera to your RC car is making sure that it is properly secured. Here are a few tips to ensure that your camera won’t fall off during use:
- Tighten the mount: Make sure that the mount is tightened securely to the car.
- Use extra measures: Consider using zip ties or duct tape to ensure that the camera and mount stay in place.
- Balance the weight: If the camera is too heavy on one side, it may cause the mount to become unbalanced and fall off during use.
It’s also worth noting that some RC cars may experience significant vibrations while in use, which can cause the mount to loosen over time. If this is the case with your car, you may need to re-tighten the mount periodically.
Fat Gecko Suction Mount vs. GoPro Roll Bar Mount
| Mount | Pros | Cons |
| Fat Gecko | – Versatile: Can be mounted on a range of surfaces
– Durable: Made from high-quality materials
– Strong suction: Can hold up heavy cameras
– Adjustable: Various positioning options
– Universal: Compatible with multiple camera brands | – Large size: May be too big for some RC cars |
| GoPro Roll Bar Mount | – Secure fit: Designed specifically for GoPro cameras
– Compact size: Fits easily on RC cars
– Customizable: Various camera angles available | – Limited compatibility: Only works with GoPro cameras
– No suction: Uses a clamp-style mount which may not work as well for heavier cameras
– Limited positioning options: May not be as versatile as the Fat Gecko mount |
Both of these mounts are popular options for mounting cameras to RC cars, but the Fat Gecko Suction Mount is generally considered to be more versatile and sturdy, while the GoPro Roll Bar Mount is smaller and more designed for a specific brand of camera. Ultimately, the choice will depend on your preferences and the type of camera you plan on using.
Can you put a GoPro on a RC car?
Yes, you can put a GoPro camera on an RC car to capture some thrilling footage. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the GoPro is properly mounted to the RC car, so it doesn’t fall off or get damaged during use.
- Ensure that the weight of the camera does not affect the performance or balance of the RC car.
- Consider getting a stabilizing gimbal for smoother footage, especially if the RC car is moving at high speeds or over rough terrain.
- Check out websites like GoPro and RC enthusiast forums for more tips and tricks on getting the best footage from your RC car with a GoPro.
Balancing the camera
Ensuring that your camera is properly balanced is key to capturing smooth and stable footage. Here are a few tips for balancing your camera:
- Position the camera correctly: Make sure that the camera is positioned in the center of the mount and is facing the correct direction.
- Adjust the weight distribution: If the camera is too heavy on one side, it may cause the mount to become unbalanced and fall off during use. Try adjusting the weight distribution to achieve a more balanced setup.
- Use counterweights: If you’re having trouble getting your camera balanced and stable, consider using counterweights. These can be purchased online or made at home using weights or other heavy objects.
It may take some trial and error to get your camera properly balanced, so be patient and don’t give up!
If you’re in the market for a camera or mount for your RC car, here are a few recommended products:
- GoPro HERO9 Black: A popular action camera with excellent video quality, image stabilization, and waterproof capabilities.
- Fat Gecko Suction Mount: A versatile mount that can be used on a range of surfaces and is compatible with multiple camera brands.
- Neewer Counterweight Balance Clamp: A simple and affordable way to add counterweights to your camera setup.
All of these products can be found on popular online retailers such as Amazon and B&H Photo. Do your research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure that you’re getting the best product for your needs!
How do you balance your camera?
Balancing your camera is essential for capturing smooth and stable footage. Here are some steps to follow:
- Mount your camera on the gimbal or tripod
- Adjust the balance of the camera by moving the sliding plate forward or backward
- Ensure the camera is centered on the gimbal or tripod
- Use a spirit level to check if the camera is balanced on all axes
- Adjust the tension of the motor to prevent shaking or vibration
For more information on camera balancing, check out websites like B&H Photo Video or products like the DJI Ronin-S gimbal.
Testing the camera
Before taking your camera-equipped RC car for a spin, it’s important to ensure that everything is working properly. Here are a few things to check:
- Test the footage: Make sure that the camera is recording properly and that the footage is stable and not blurry.
- Check the mount: Make sure that the mount is securely fastened to the car and that the camera is held firmly in place.
- Inspect the RC car: Check that the wires or connectors are not interfering with the camera’s movement and that the car is in good working condition.
If you notice any issues during testing, take the time to troubleshoot and make any necessary adjustments before taking your RC car out for a full run.
If you’re interested in learning more about attaching cameras to RC cars or looking for additional tips and tricks, here are a few online resources worth checking out:
- RC Groups: An online forum dedicated to all things RC, including tips for attaching cameras and troubleshooting common issues.
- YouTube tutorials: Many RC enthusiasts share their camera setups and tips on how to get the best footage on YouTube. Search for “RC car camera” or “RC car GoPro” to find tutorials.
- Manufacturer websites: If you have a specific camera or RC car brand, check their respective websites for information and tutorials on how to attach a camera to your specific model.
Take advantage of these resources to learn as much as you can about your camera setup and to get the most out of your RC car experience!
How do you set up a FPV for a RC car?
To set up a FPV for a RC car, follow these steps:
- Choose a camera and transmitter that fit your RC car’s size and weight.
- Install the camera and transmitter onto your RC car. Secure them in place with zip ties, double-sided tape, or screws (depending on the mounting options available).
- Attach a video receiver to your FPV goggles or monitor.
- Tune the frequency of the video transmitter to match the frequency of the video receiver. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for doing this.
- Put on your FPV goggles or turn on your monitor, and power up your RC car and the video transmitter.
- You should now be able to see what your RC car sees through the FPV camera on your goggles or monitor.
For more information on how to set up an FPV system for your RC car, check out websites like GetFPV or products like the Crazepony FPV Racing Camera and Transmitter.
Attaching a camera to your RC car can add a whole new dimension to your hobby. With the right equipment and a little bit of know-how, you can capture some incredible footage and gain a new perspective into the movements of your car. Follow these steps to attach your camera to your RC car:
- Select a camera that fits your needs and budget.
- Choose a mount that is compatible with your camera and RC car.
- Secure the camera firmly to the mount.
- Ensure the camera is properly balanced for smooth footage.
- Test the camera for functionality and adjust as needed.
Remember to check out the various online resources available, such as forums, YouTube tutorials, and manufacturer websites, to learn more about attaching a camera to your RC car and getting the most out of your experience.
How do I connect my GoPro to my RC?
To connect your GoPro camera to your RC (remote control) device, you can follow these simple steps:
- First, use the USB cable provided with your GoPro to connect it to your computer or laptop.
- Open the GoPro app on your mobile device, and tap “Connect Your Camera” to begin the pairing process.
- Once the app has found your GoPro, select it and enter the password (if required).
- Finally, connect your RC device to your mobile device via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, making sure that both devices are paired and connected.
For more detailed instructions or troubleshooting help, visit the official GoPro website or community forums. Additionally, there are various RC and drone websites that offer tutorials and tips on connecting GoPro cameras to their devices.
If you are in the market for a camera to attach to your RC car, there are several options on the market. Here are some of our top recommendations:
GoPro HERO7 Black
The GoPro HERO7 Black is a popular choice for action cameras. It offers 4K video recording, 12 MP photos, and HyperSmooth video stabilization for smooth footage. It also has voice control and a touchscreen for convenient use.
The Akaso EK7000 is a budget-friendly option that still packs a punch. It offers 4K video recording, 12 MP photos, and built-in WiFi for easy sharing. It comes with a variety of mounts and accessories for versatility.
The Insta360 Go is a compact and lightweight camera that can be easily attached to an RC car. It offers 1080p video recording, slow-motion capabilities, and hyperlapse for creative footage. It also comes with a range of accessories, including a magnetic pendant and easy clip for convenient use.
Attaching a camera to your RC car can provide a unique and exciting perspective to your RC hobby. By selecting the right camera and mount, properly securing and balancing the camera, and testing for functionality, you can capture some incredible footage. Remember to check out various online resources for more information, and consider our recommended products for a great starting point. Have fun exploring your RC cars from a whole new angle!