Raising RC Car Height: Tips for Improved Performance
Remote control (RC) cars have become a popular hobby for both kids and adults alike. These miniature vehicles are fascinating toys that can be customized and adjusted based on the user’s personal preferences. One of the essential adjustments that many RC car enthusiasts make is raising the height of the car. Raising the height of an RC car helps improve ground clearance and makes it easier to navigate rough terrains. Additionally, a raised car ride tends to be smoother compared to a lowered one. With that said, modifying the height of an RC car requires a basic understanding of its different parts and how they work together. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of raising the height of your RC car so that you can fully enjoy it on any surface, including rocky, bumpy, or curvy tracks. Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate, or experienced RC car enthusiast, these tips will help take your driving experience to the next level.
Understanding the Different Parts of an RC Car
To raise the height of an RC car, you need to be familiar with its various parts and how they work together. Here are some essential components to keep in mind when adjusting your car’s height:
- Chassis: The chassis is the mainframe of the RC car that holds all other parts and provides structural support.
- Tires: Tires are responsible for maximizing traction and providing grip on various surfaces such as sand, grass, or concrete.
- Suspension System: The suspension system absorbs shocks and vibrations from the terrain and helps stabilize the car.
- Shock Absorbers: Shock absorbers reduce the impact of bumps and jumps on your RC car, ensuring a smooth ride.
To raise the height of your RC car, you need to make adjustments to the suspension system or shock absorbers. However, keep in mind that raising the height of an RC car can impact its performance and handling. Therefore, it is crucial to make sure that the adjustments you make are safe for the car and do not damage its parts. If you’re unsure about which parts of your car to adjust, consult the user manual or seek advice from experienced RC car enthusiasts on online forums or social media groups.
What is a chassis on a RC car?
A chassis is the backbone of the RC car, essentially its frame. It gives the car its structural integrity and houses all the other components, such as the motor, suspension, and electronics. The type of chassis used can greatly affect the handling and performance of the RC car.
For more information on RC cars and their components, check out websites such as RC Driver or RC Car Action. If you’re looking to purchase an RC car or upgrade your current one, check out hobby stores like Hobbytown or online retailers such as Amazon or Tower Hobbies.
Adjusting the Shock Absorbers
One of the most common ways to raise the height of an RC car is by adjusting the shock absorbers. Follow these steps to adjust your RC car’s shock absorbers:
- Remove the shock absorbers from the car.
- Adjust the distance between the shock absorber’s mounting points on the chassis and suspension arms.
- Use a measuring tape to set the new shock length accurately.
- Use a hex wrench to adjust the shock absorber’s spring collar to match the new length.
- Reinstall the shock absorber on the car.
The table below shows the recommended shock lengths for different RC car models to raise their height:
|RC Car Model||Recommended Shock Length (mm)|
|Traxxas Slash||94mm (front), 100mm (rear)|
|Team Associated RC10||85mm (front), 95mm (rear)|
|HPI Sprint 2||70mm (front), 75mm (rear)|
Keep in mind that the recommended shock lengths may vary depending on the terrain you plan to use your RC car on. It is essential to adjust your car’s shock absorbers appropriately to enhance its performance and ensure a smooth ride.
Pro tip: To get the best shock absorbers for your RC car, check out Amain Hobbies. They offer a wide selection of high-quality shock absorbers from top brands like Traxxas, Team Associated, and HPI Racing.
How do you adjust the ride height on a RC car?
To adjust the ride height on an RC car, follow these steps:
- Check the car’s manual to determine if it has adjustable suspension.
- If it does, utilize the shock absorbers to customize the car’s height.
- If the suspension is not adjustable, consider purchasing aftermarket parts like springs or spacers to modify the height.
For further guidance or to purchase RC car products, check out websites like RC Planet or Horizon Hobby.
Modifying the Suspension System
Another way to raise the height of your RC car is by modifying its suspension system. Here’s how:
- Remove the shock absorbers from the car.
- Adjust the length of the suspension arms and shock towers, if needed.
- Install longer suspension arms and/or shock towers to raise the height of your RC car further.
- Reinstall the shock absorbers on the car.
There are various types of suspension systems, and each of them has its advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most common types:
Independent Suspension System
This type of suspension system allows each wheel to move independently, providing better traction and handling. However, it can be more challenging to tune and adjust.
Solid Axle Suspension System
This type of suspension is more durable and easier to maintain. It provides good stability and is perfect for off-road adventures. However, it can be more challenging to handle and limit the car’s overall performance.
Multi-Link Suspension System
This type of suspension is a combination of the previous two. It provides excellent handling and stability while being robust and durable. It is the most tuned and customizable type of suspension system.
There are different RC car brands and models with each having unique suspension setups. It is essential to do some research to know the type of suspension system your RC car has and the recommended modifications to raise its height.
How can I increase the height of my RC car?
There are several ways to increase the height of your RC car, including:
- Installing larger wheels and tires
- Adding a lift kit
- Adjusting the suspension
- Using suspension lifts or spacers
You can find lift kits, larger wheels, and suspension upgrades at hobby stores and online retailers such as Amazon, RC Planet, and Tower Hobbies. Be sure to research and choose the right parts for your specific RC car model.
Changing the Tires
Changing the tires on your RC car can also help raise its height. Here are some tips:
- Choose off-road or larger diameter tires with better tread patterns to increase ground clearance and improve stability.
- Choose tires with a higher profile by choosing a larger diameter or using wheel spacers to move the wheels further away from the chassis.
- Make sure that the wheel rims are compatible with your RC car’s axles, and the tires have the right size.
- Adjust the suspension to maintain the height of the car after installing new tires.
- Use tire foam inserts to improve tire performance and durability.
It’s best to buy tires designed for your RC car model, as they will be sure to fit perfectly. You may check online retailers such as Amazon, HobbyKing, and Tower Hobbies, as they have a range of tires and wheels for different RC cars.
When choosing tires for different terrains, here are some of the best tire types to consider:
Grass and dirt terrains
– Treaded tires made from soft or high-grip rubber.
– Large diameter wheels with deep treads.
Sand and snow terrains
– Larger diameter tires with low-profile paddles or scoops.
– Custom tires with special-made paddles or scoops.
– Smaller diameter tires with tough rubber compounds and a smooth surface.
– Wide tires with multitudes of small knobbies for traction.
– Beadlock wheels to keep the tire in place.
By picking the right tires, you can make the most out of your RC car on different terrains while improving its ride height.
How do you put tires on a RC car?
To put tires on a RC car, follow these steps:
- First, determine the correct size and type of tires for your RC car.
- Next, remove the old tires, if applicable.
- Place the new tire onto the rim, lining up the holes.
- Using a beadlock or tire glue, attach the tire to the rim.
- Repeat for all tires.
For more detailed instructions, check the manual or manufacturer’s website for your specific RC car. Some websites such as Horizon Hobby offer a variety of replacement tires and wheels for RC cars.
Conclusion and Tips
Raising the height of your RC car allows you to gain better ground clearance, making it easier to drive over rough and uneven terrain. By following the tips above, you can successfully raise your RC car height and improve its stability and performance. Some things to remember when adjusting any parts of your RC car include:
Always work with the shocks when adjusting the suspension system.
The suspension and the shocks support each other, and modifying only one can negatively impact the other.
Be patient and do not rush adjustments.
Rushing adjustments can cause damage to the parts of your RC car. Take your time and follow instructions.
Ensure proper maintenance.
Check your RC car periodically to see the wear and tear of its components. Proper maintenance will prevent issues from occurring.
In conclusion, modifying your RC car’s height is easy and rewarding. Experiment with your vehicle and adjust the height to fit your needs. Remember to always take care and maintain your RC car and its components regularly. By doing so, you will have fewer issues and get the most out of your car’s performance.