Beginner RC Helicopter Kits: A Comprehensive Guide for First-timers
For anyone looking for a thrilling and challenging entry into the world of remote control (RC) flying, a beginner RC helicopter kit is a great choice. The popularity of RC helicopters has grown exponentially over the last decade, thanks in part to the ever-increasing variety of helicopters and kits available. Starting with a beginner kit is a great way to get started on your journey, and they come packed with everything you need to get started, from the helicopter itself, to the controller, battery, and charger. As a novice, you may look at some of the more advanced kits on the market and feel intimidated, but fear not! Beginner kits are designed specifically to help you ease into the hobby, offering a clear learning path and reducing the frustration often felt by beginners. Furthermore, starting with a beginner kit won’t break the bank, and you can always upgrade to a more advanced kit as your skills grow. In this article, we will explore what makes a good beginner RC helicopter kit, features to look for, and recommend some of the top beginner RC helicopter kits for you to consider.
What to Look for in a Beginner RC Helicopter Kit
With so many beginner RC helicopter kits on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose just one. However, there are certain features you should look for when selecting a kit that will make a world of difference for the beginner pilot. Here are some factors to consider:
- Stability and ease of control: Look for a helicopter with a stable flight profile and intuitive controls. This will allow you to maintain control over the helicopter, reducing the likelihood of crashes.
- Durable construction: Beginner pilots are more likely to have accidents, so choose a helicopter with a sturdy frame and replaceable parts. This will save you the hassle and expense of having to purchase a new helicopter every time it gets damaged.
- Battery life and charging time: Battery life is an important consideration when it comes to RC helicopters, as you don’t want to be grounded after just a few minutes of flight time. Look for a helicopter with a battery that can last at least 5-7 minutes and a short charging time (around 30 minutes) to ensure you get plenty of time in the air.
- Affordability: As you are just starting out in the hobby, you may not want to spend a lot of money on an expensive model that can be intimidating. Look for a kit that fits your budget without compromising on quality.
According to bestrc.com, some of the top beginner RC helicopter kits include the Blade Nano S2, the E-flite Blade mSR, and the Blade 70S. These helicopters all offer a stable flight profile, intuitive controls, and easy assembly, making them perfect for novice pilots.
Are RC helicopters hard to fly?
RC helicopters can be difficult to fly for beginners because of their instability and sensitivity to even small inputs. However, with practice and patience, anyone can learn to fly one. It’s important to start with a beginner-friendly model and get comfortable with the controls before attempting more advanced maneuvers.
Some resources that can help with learning to fly RC helicopters include:
- Online tutorials and videos on websites such as RCGroups.com and RC-Help.com
- Instructional books and DVDs
- Practice simulators on computer or mobile devices, such as RealFlight or Absolute RC Simulator
Some beginner-friendly RC helicopters to consider are:
|Blade mCX2||Stable and easy to fly indoors, durable|
|E-flite Blade 120 S||Stable with self-leveling and panic button features, ideal for beginners|
|WLtoys V911S||Responsive and agile, affordable|
When it comes to beginner-friendly RC helicopter kits, there are several options on the market. Here are three top recommendations to get you started:
The Syma S107G is a popular choice for beginners and is known for its mini size, which is perfect for indoor flying. Its durable construction and replaceable parts make it ideal for those who are just starting out. The heli is easy to control thanks to its stable flight profile and intuitive controls. You can get it at Amazon for $21.98.
Blade 120 S2
The Blade 120 S2 offers excellent stability, making it a great choice for beginners. It comes with a Panic Recovery mode that helps recover from a crash and has a durable construction and replaceable parts. You can get it at Amazon for $149.99.
E-flite Blade mSR S RTF
The E-flite Blade mSR S RTF is more advanced, offering a more realistic helicopter flight experience, but it is still easy to control for beginners. It comes with everything you need, including transmitter, battery, and charger. You can get it at Horizon Hobby for $249.99.
It’s worth noting that while these recommendations are a great place to start, there are plenty of other kits available on the market that may suit your preferences and needs better. Do some research, read reviews, and consider factors like price, features, and ease of assembly before you make a purchase.
Additionally, some retailers, like Amazon or Hobby King, offer comprehensive beginner RC helicopter kit listings, where customers can browse through an array of high-quality helicopters, each with their own pros and cons.
Are RC helicopters fun?
Yes, RC helicopters are fun! They provide an exciting way to enjoy the thrill of flying without leaving the ground. Here are some reasons why:
- RC helicopters are easy to fly and provide endless entertainment for both beginners and experienced pilots.
- They come in a wide range of sizes and styles, from small indoor models to larger outdoor helicopters with advanced features like GPS systems.
- There are many online communities and forums dedicated to RC helicopter enthusiasts where you can find helpful tips and advice on flying and maintenance.
- Online retailers like HobbyKing and Horizon Hobby offer a wide selection of RC helicopters, parts and accessories at affordable prices.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a fun and exciting hobby, RC helicopters are definitely worth trying!
Flying RC helicopters can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but starting out can seem daunting. However, with the right beginner RC helicopter kit, it’s easier than you might think. By choosing a helicopter that suits your interests and skill level, practicing consistently, and seeking advice from experienced pilots, you’ll be well on your way to becoming an accomplished RC helicopter pilot.
It’s also worth noting that as you become more proficient, you may want to explore more challenging helicopter models that can help you develop your skills further. Many of the major hobby shops have a range of beginner and intermediate level helicopters to choose from.
Another great way to get started is to join an online or local RC helicopter club. Here, you can connect with other pilots, learn tips and tricks, and see others’ helicopters in action. In conclusion, starting with a beginner RC helicopter kit is an excellent way to learn the ropes before moving on to more advanced models and becoming a skilled pilot.