Essential Nitro RC Car Equipment and Accessories
When it comes to nitro remote-controlled (RC) cars, having the right equipment and accessories is essential for optimal performance and longevity. Nitro RC cars have become increasingly popular among RC enthusiasts due to their realistic sound, speed, and power. Nitro RC cars use nitro fuel, unlike their electric counterparts, which run on batteries. Nitro fuel is a special blend of nitromethane, methanol, and oil that provides the car with the power to run. Choosing the right percentage of nitro fuel is crucial for your car’s engine to operate efficiently. Higher percentages of nitro fuel, such as 20% or 30%, provide more power but also have more significant running costs. Higher concentration of nitro fuel content can also make it harder for beginners to control and maintain their cars. In this article, we will outline the essential items you need to operate and maintain a nitro RC car to ensure you have the best experience possible.
- Choosing the right nitro fuel percentage is crucial for your car’s performance, although beginners may want to stick to a lower percentage.
- You will need to get a dedicated fuel bottle to dispense the nitro fuel accurately.
- Some of the recommended nitro fuel brands include Traxxas Top Fuel, PowerMaster Race Fuels, and Hobbico Torpedo Nitro Fuel.
Nitro fuel is the life of your nitro RC car as it powers up your engine to run. Nitro fuel comes in different percentages and brands which will affect your car’s performance. Buying a perfect mixture will keep your car running smoothly and not damage it. However, no matter the blend percentage of nitro fuel, you will need a dedicated fuel bottle that is separate from any tools used for maintenance. There are various brands of nitro fuel that you can use with your RC car such as the Traxxas Top Fuel, PowerMaster Race Fuels, and Hobbico Torpedo Nitro Fuel. These brands have been recommended for their quality and usage in RC cars.
What is the best RC nitro fuel to use?
When it comes to choosing the best RC nitro fuel for your remote control vehicles, consider the following factors:
- Brand reputation: Look for well-known, reputable brands that have a track record of producing high-quality fuel.
- Fuel percentage: Determine the appropriate fuel percentage for your engine. Typically, nitro fuel comes in 10%, 20%, 30%, or 40% blends.
- Price: Nitro fuel can vary in price, so consider your budget before making a purchase.
Some popular brands to consider include:
- Traxxas Top Fuel: A highly recommended, high-performance fuel for RC vehicles
- VP PowerMaster: Offers a wide range of nitro fuel blends suitable for various types of vehicles
- O’Donnell: Known for its consistent quality and high-performance fuels
Consult your vehicle’s manual to determine the appropriate fuel blend and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for fuel use and storage.
Glow Plug and Starter
- A properly functioning glow plug ignites the nitro fuel mixture in the engine combustion chamber.
- You’ll need a rechargeable 12-volt battery for your starter since nitro RC cars don’t have an onboard electric starter.
- Starter wands and electric starter boxes are available options for starting your engine.
|Traxxas Ez-Start NiMH 6-Cell Battery||$29.95|
|Hobbico TorqMaster 180 Heavy-Duty 12V Starter||$69.99|
|Traxxas 1/10 Nitro Rustler Starter Wand||$11.99|
A glow plug is essential to ignite the nitro fuel mixture in the engine combustion chamber. Nitro RC cars require a rechargeable 12-volt battery starter since they don’t have an onboard electric starter. Starter wands or electric starter boxes are the two types of starters available to use to start the engine. The Traxxas Ez-Start NiMH 6-Cell Battery is a popular option as it is rechargeable and affordable which lets you easily start your car at any time. If you’re looking for heavy-duty starters, the Hobbico TorqMaster 180 Heavy-Duty 12V Starter is worth checking out. Meanwhile, if you’re on a budget, the Traxxas 1/10 Nitro Rustler Starter Wand is an excellent alternative to electric starters.
What battery can I use in my RC car?
There are different types of batteries to use in an RC car, including:
- NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries: affordable and easy to find, but have a shorter lifespan.
- Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries: more expensive but provide higher performance and longer lifespan.
- LiFe (Lithium Ferrite) batteries: more durable and safer than LiPo batteries, but have lower energy density.
It’s important to choose a battery that is compatible with your RC car’s specs and has the proper voltage and capacity. Check your car’s manual or manufacturer’s website for recommended battery types and specifications.
Air Filter and Fuel Filter
- Air filters keep dirt and debris from entering the engine
- Clean or replace them regularly to ensure proper airflow to the carburetor
- Fuel filters prevent dirt and debris from entering the fuel system
- The fuel filter requires periodic cleaning and replacement to prevent blockages
|Dynamite Air Filter: Nitro 1/8th In-Line||$11.99|
|HPI 87188 Fuel Filter||$3.33|
|Dynamite .12, .15 Air Filter||$7.99|
Air and fuel filters help to protect the engine from dirt and debris. Air filters need to be cleaned or replaced regularly, while fuel filters require periodic cleaning and replacement to prevent clogging. One great air filter product is the Dynamite Air Filter: Nitro 1/8th In-Line. It fits the typical 1/8th in-line air filter post and helps keep dirt and debris from entering your engine. The HPI 87188 Fuel Filter is an affordable and efficient fuel filter that helps prevent dirt and debris from entering the fuel system. Meanwhile, the Dynamite .12, .15 Air Filter fits engines .12 and .15 in size, making it an excellent option for those with nitro RC cars running that engine size.
Is air filter and fuel filter the same?
No, air filter and fuel filter are two different types of filters that serve different purposes in a vehicle. Here are the main differences between the two:
- Air filters trap dirt, debris, and other contaminants from the air before it enters the engine’s combustion chamber.
- Fuel filters remove impurities from the fuel before it reaches the engine’s fuel injectors or carburetor.
- Both filters need to be replaced regularly to ensure optimal vehicle performance and prevent damage to the engine.
If you’re looking for high-quality air filters or fuel filters for your vehicle, check out websites like Amazon, AutoZone, or Advance Auto Parts.
Cooling Fan and Heat Sink
- The engine generates a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated to prevent overheating
- Cooling fans help to circulate air over the engine and keep temperatures down
- Heat sinks act as heat exchangers and absorb heat from critical components of the engine
- They transfer heat away from those components to prevent overheating and the potential for damage or wear
|Traxxas Nitro Cooling Head with glow plug protector||$17.66|
|HPI Racing Heat Sink Engine mount 12T Type-3 Purple||$17.48|
|Redcat Racing 380 Motor Cooling Fan||$6.99|
The engine of a nitro RC car generates a lot of heat, which can be problematic if not managed correctly. Cooling fans help to keep the temperature down by circulating air over the engine. The Traxxas Nitro Cooling Head with glow plug protector is an excellent cooling fan option that offers an added bonus of protecting the glow plug from damage. Heat sinks help to absorb and transfer heat away from critical engine components to prevent overheating and potential damage. The HPI Racing Heat Sink Engine mount 12T Type-3 Purple is a stylish and efficient heat sink that prevents your engine from overheating. Redcat Racing 380 Motor Cooling Fan is another great option for those looking to add a cooling fan to their RC car.
How long can you run a nitro RC car?
- The runtime of a nitro RC car depends on the size of the fuel tank and the engine’s efficiency. Generally, a nitro RC car can run for 15 to 20 minutes on a single tank of fuel.
- Factors such as driving style, track conditions, and weather also affect the runtime of the car.
- It’s recommended to keep extra fuel on hand to avoid running out during a race or practice session.
For further information on nitro RC cars and accessories, you can visit websites such as nitrorcx.com or towerhobbies.com.
Remote Control and Servo
- The remote control is a crucial component for controlling your nitro RC car
- There are different types of remote controls such as pistol grip and stick type
- The quality and usability of the remote control can significantly impact the performance and driving experience of your RC car
- Servos are motors that move the wheels and throttle on command from the remote control
- High-quality servos are essential for accurate and responsive control of your nitro RC car, and they come in various sizes and models that suit different applications
|Spektrum DX5 Rugged||$299.99|
|Traxxas Link Bluetooth Wireless Module||$35.99|
|Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo||$13.99|
The remote control is crucial for controlling your nitro RC car. It comes in different types, such as pistol grip and stick type. The Spektrum DX5 Rugged is a highly rated and durable remote control that is perfect for RC car enthusiasts. The Traxxas Link Bluetooth Wireless Module is another great option that allows you to control your RC car through your phone using the Traxxas Link App. When it comes to servos, the Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo is a popular and cost-effective option that offers accuracy and reliability. It is suitable for most nitro RC cars and can help to improve their performance. However, for more demanding applications, high-end options such as the Hitec HS-5585MH Coreless High Torque Metal Gear Digital Servo may be required.
Which is the best RC remote control car?
There are many amazing brands and models of RC cars available on the market today. However, the best RC remote control car entirely depends on your needs and preferences. Before you make a purchase, consider what you want the car to do and your budget. Some factors to consider when choosing the best RC remote control car include:
- The size and weight of the car
- The speed and maneuverability of the car
- The type of terrain the car is designed to navigate
- The durability and reliability of the vehicle
- The brand’s reputation and customer support
Several websites offer expert reviews and ratings of the best RC remote control cars you can buy. Some of them include:
- RC Gadgets Review
- RC Driver
- RC Car Action
Check out these websites and discover the best RC remote control car for you!
Investing in the essential items for your nitro RC car can make all the difference when it comes to performance and durability. From fuel and glow plugs to air and fuel filters, cooling fans, heat sinks, remote controls, and servos, each item plays a crucial role in ensuring that you have an enjoyable and safe driving experience. High-quality products may cost more money up front, but they are worth it in the long run as they often last longer and provide a better driving experience.
When shopping for nitro RC car accessories and equipment, it is crucial to do your research and look for products that suit your specific needs and budget. Many websites offer a vast selection of nitro RC car products, including Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, and AMain Hobbies. These websites provide a comprehensive range of items, from high-end products to budget-friendly options, to suit all types of hobbyists.
In conclusion, by investing in the essential items for your nitro RC car, you’ll have a safe and enjoyable driving experience with better performance and durability. Look for quality products that match your specific needs, and don’t forget to do your research before making any purchases. Happy driving!