Second Hand RC Boats: Cost Effective & Fun Way to Enjoy RC Boating
Second hand RC boats are a great way to enjoy the hobby of remote control boating without breaking the bank. These boats are previously owned, but still provide the same enjoyment as a brand new model. Buying second hand can also give you access to rare or discontinued models that may not be available anymore from the manufacturer. However, like any used hobby equipment, there are risks involved and it’s important to be well-informed before making a purchase. In this article, we’ll delve into the benefits and risks of buying second hand RC boats, as well as provide tips on what to look for when making a purchase. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or a beginner to the hobby, understanding how to navigate the second hand market can save you time, money, and a lot of headaches.
Advantages of buying Second Hand RC Boats
There are several advantages to buying second hand RC boats such as:
- Lower Cost: One of the biggest advantages of buying second hand is the cost. You can often find a used boat for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one.
- Availability: Second hand boats offer greater availability of models as some models have been discontinued from manufacturers.
- Buy and Sell: With the availability of multiple websites and listings, you can also sell the boat at the price you desire once you have had enough of the boat.
- Additional features: Many owners add additional features to their boats, which can be a bonus when buying second hand. You may find additional batteries, high speed motors or upgraded controls.
Several online marketplaces such as eBay and Craigslist offer a range of second hand RC boats. Additionally, many RC forums offer classified sections where members can sell their used boats. Consider looking through these websites and forums to find a wider variety of options.
What is the Best Time to Buy a Used Boat?
The best time to buy a used boat is generally during the off-season or late in the boating season. This is when boat owners are trying to sell their boats to avoid storage and maintenance costs or to upgrade to a newer model.
Here are some tips to help you save more when purchasing a used boat:
- Shop around and compare prices from different sellers and dealers.
- Inspect the boat thoroughly and consider getting a marine survey to uncover hidden problems.
- Research the boat’s history, including its age, previous ownership, and maintenance record.
- Check online marketplaces, such as Boat Trader or Craigslist, for used boats listings.
- Consider attending boat auctions, where you can find boats at a discount.
Keep in mind that buying a used boat comes with some risks, so it’s important to do your due diligence to ensure that you’re making a wise investment.
Risks of buying Second Hand RC Boats
While there are many benefits to buying second hand RC boats, there are also risks involved. These include:
- Defects: Second hand RC boats may have defects that may not be immediately noticeable. These may include electronic and mechanical problems, leaks and damaged propellers.
- Limited Warranty: Second hand RC boats usually have a limited or no warranty, so buyers have to bear potential repairs or replacements themselves
- Damage Parts: Older and discontinued model RC boats may have damaged parts that are not easily repairable.
One important point to consider is the size of the boat’s motor, as boats with larger motors may require more upkeep. A suitable boat size that accommodates the owner’s experience level and intended speed is necessary, as it guarantees maximum enjoyment and longevity of the boat.
|Boat Size||Experience||Suitable Speed|
|Small (18-25 Inches)||Begginer||10-15MPH|
|Medium (26-30 Inches)||Intermediate||20-25MPH|
|Large (31-40 Inches)||Advanced||>35MPH|
It is recommended that buyers inspect the boat before making a purchase and ask for additional photos or videos if needed. It’s also crucial to purchase from reputable sellers who have positive feedback regarding their previous sales.
Tips for buying Second Hand RC Boats
Before purchasing a second hand RC boat, there are several things to consider. Here are some tips to help make a well-informed purchase:
- Inspect the boat thoroughly: Check for any signs of damage, wear and tear, and any other issues that may affect the boat’s performance.
- Ask about spare parts: Ensure that spare parts are available and check for the availability of replacements in case they are needed.
- Research the seller: Look for a seller who has a good reputation in the RC community. Check the feedback from other buyers and read through their reviews to know what to expect.
- Online forums: Participate in online forums. Memberships provide an opportunity to check the For Sale section, get feedback from other RC enthusiasts, and inquire from others who may have bought similar models before.
- RC Boat Groups: Join online RC boat groups. These groups provide a community of hobbyists who share information and their experiences. Any questions you have regarding your boat, you can ask the group and get their input.
Apart from purchasing from online sellers, buyers may check out local hobby stores and classified ads. Buyers can conduct searches and can use filter options to specify the Boat type they want.
One popular website that offers a range of new and used RC boats is “RC Trader.” The site offers various options for both buyers and sellers and handles the transaction process. To find a suitable second hand RC boat, visit the “Boats,” choose “Used” to see what’s available and then make a purchase according to one’s budget and preference.
What to look for when buying a remote control boat?
|Type||Determine if you want an electric or gas-powered boat|
|Speed||Check the speed range and ensure it suits your preference|
|Range||Confirm the range of the remote control and ensure it matches the size of the water body you will be using it in|
|Battery life||Check the battery capacity and if they are replaceable or rechargeable|
|Size||Consider the size of the boat and if it can easily be transported and stored|
Make sure to read reviews and compare various products before making a decision. Websites like Amazon, Walmart and HobbyTron offer a variety of remote control boats that you can choose from.
Second hand RC boats are a good way to enjoy the fun of RC boating without spending too much money. However, it’s important to be aware of the risks involved and work on making an informed purchase. By inspecting the boat thoroughly, checking for spare parts and researching the seller, one can ensure that they are getting a quality boat. Additionally, participation in online forums and groups provide access to other hobbyists who can offer helpful insights. Always consider websites like “RC Trader” and local hobby shops for purchasing second hand RC boats.
Ultimately, buying a second hand RC boat requires caution and attention to detail. With proper research, inspection, and maintenance, a second hand RC boat can provide hours of enjoyment on the water.