Upgrade Your Remote Control Car with a 12V Motor Controller: The Ultimate Guide
Remote control cars are a favorite pastime for many people who enjoy tinkering, modifying, and customizing their ride-on vehicles. One of the essential components of a remote control car is the motor controller, which regulates the speed and direction of the car’s motor. A motor controller is responsible for smooth acceleration, braking, and reversing of the remote control car, making it a crucial part of the overall system. Different models and types of motor controllers exist in the market, with varying capabilities that work with different types of motors. If you’re a remote control car enthusiast who wants to take your hobby to another level, upgrading your car’s motor controller to a 12V remote control car motor controller can enhance the car’s performance and take it to new heights. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide on what a remote control car motor controller is, the benefits of using a 12V motor controller, considerations when choosing one, and how to install and use it.
What is a Remote Control Car Motor Controller?
A remote control car motor controller is a device that allows you to control the direction and speed of your remote control car. Here are some things you need to know about motor controllers:
- Typically, motor controllers are rated based on their voltage and current capacity.
- While some motor controllers are designed for brushed motors, others are designed for brushless motors.
- Some motor controllers are built-in to the car’s electronic speed control unit.
- Motor controllers can have additional features, such as over-current protection, thermal protection, and reverse polarity protection.
If you’re looking to buy a motor controller, make sure to choose one that’s compatible with your remote control car’s motor. Check the voltage and current rating of your motor, and make sure that the motor controller can handle those specifications. There are various online resources available to help you identify the right motor controller for your remote control car, including user forums, manufacturer websites, and product review websites.
For example, you can check out the 12V remote control car motor controllers on Amazon, which offers a variety of options that might suit your specific needs. It’s also recommended to check out the brand’s website to see if they offer any additional features or warranty for their product.
What Motor Is Used in Remote Control Cars?
Most remote control cars use electric motors because of their efficiency and simplicity. The two main types of electric motors used in remote control cars are brushless and brushed.
- Brushed motors are the most common and have been around for decades. They are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and come in a variety of sizes and power output. However, they are less efficient and may wear out faster than brushless motors.
- Brushless motors are more advanced and are becoming increasingly popular. They offer higher efficiency, more power, and longer lifespan. They are more expensive and require special electronic speed controllers (ESCs) to function properly.
It’s important to choose a motor that matches the size and weight of your remote control car. Some popular websites for purchasing remote control car parts include HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies, and Amazon.
Benefits of Using a 12V Remote Control Car Motor Controller
Upgrading your remote control car’s motor controller to a 12V version can deliver several benefits, such as:
- Increased speed – A 12V motor controller can offer higher RPMs, which mean more speed and acceleration.
- Better performance – With the increased voltage, your remote control car’s motor can deliver more torque and power, which can enhance its performance.
- Improved battery life – A 12V motor controller can be more efficient in managing power consumption, which can extend your battery life.
- Suitable for different terrains – A 12V motor controller can make your remote control car suitable for different terrains, whether it is on-road or off-road.
- Compatibility – 12V motor controllers are widely available and can be compatible with most remote control cars that can support a 12V option.
It’s worth noting that upgrading to a 12V motor controller may not always be the best decision for everyone. Some factors that can impact your decision include your skill level, the type of remote control car you have, and the purpose of using it. It’s best to do your research and understand the pros and cons of upgrading before making a decision.
Here’s a comparison table of popular 12V remote control car motor controllers in the market:
|Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s
|Waterproof design, EZ-Set push-button setup, multiple protection features
|Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro
|Programmable settings, telemetry feedback, RPM data logging
|Waterproof design, easy setup, affordable price
How can I make my remote control car more powerful?
To make your remote control car more powerful, you can try the following:
- Upgrade the battery to a higher voltage or milliampere-hour (mAh) rating. This will give your car a longer run time and more power overall.
- Replace the motor with a higher power rating. This can increase the speed and acceleration of your car.
- Upgrade the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) to handle higher voltage and current. This will provide greater control over the motor and allow for higher power output.
- Adjust the gear ratio to achieve higher top speed or acceleration. This will require experimenting with different gear sizes to find the optimal combination for your car.
There are many websites and products available that can help with upgrading your remote control car. Do some research to find the best options for your specific model.
Top Considerations When Choosing a 12V Remote Control Car Motor Controller
When choosing a motor controller for your remote control car, there are several important factors to consider, including:
- Compatibility – Ensure that the motor controller is compatible with your remote control car’s motor and battery.
- Power limits – Choose a motor controller that can handle the power requirements of your remote control car’s motor and batteries.
- Brand and quality – Invest in a reputable brand and high-quality motor controller to ensure durability and good performance.
- Price – Set a budget for your motor controller upgrade and choose options that fit within your budget.
- Features – Consider the additional features that come with the motor controller, such as waterproof design, programmable settings, and protection features.
It’s best to do your research and read reviews before making a decision. You can check out websites such as Amazon, eBay, and various RC car enthusiast forums to get a better idea of the options available in the market.
Some popular brands of 12V remote control car motor controllers include:
- Traxxas – Offers reliable and high-performance motor controllers with advanced features at a premium price point.
- Hobbywing – Provides affordable motor controllers that offer good performance and water-resistant designs.
- Castle Creations – Offers motor controllers with advanced features such as programmable settings, telemetry feedback, and data logging at a mid-range price point.
Remember to consider your specific needs and purpose for upgrading your motor controller before making a decision to ensure you get the best option for your remote control car.
Which motor is best for RC car?
- Brushed Motors: These motors are affordable, durable and easy to control, making them ideal for beginners.
- Brushless Motors: These motors are more powerful, efficient and require less maintenance compared to brushed motors. They are suitable for intermediate to advanced users.
- Sensored Motors: These motors offer precise control and speed, making them ideal for racing and other high-performance applications.
- Sensorless Motors: These motors are cost-effective and provide a good balance between power and control.
When choosing a motor, make sure to consider its compatibility with your RC car and other components like ESC and battery. You can find more information on RC motors and their specifications on websites like HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies and Amazon.
|Affordable, durable and easy to control
|Less powerful and efficient compared to brushless motors
|More powerful, efficient and lower maintenance
|Expensive and require a compatible ESC and battery
|Precise control and speed
|More expensive and require a compatible ESC and battery
|Cost-effective and good balance between power and control
|Not as precise as sensored motors
How to Install a 12V Remote Control Car Motor Controller
Installing a 12V remote control car motor controller may seem daunting, but it can be straightforward with the right tools and knowledge. Here are the basic steps to install a motor controller:
- Disconnect the battery from the remote control car to avoid any electrical shocks or short circuits.
- Remove the old motor controller and disconnect any wires connected to it.
- Install the new motor controller in the same location as the old one, and reconnect the wires to their appropriate ports (refer to the manual provided with the motor controller).
- Reattach the battery and check if the motor controller is properly installed by testing the acceleration and speed of the remote control car.
It’s essential to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer when installing a 12V remote control car motor controller. Here are some additional tips to consider:
- Label the wires before disconnecting them to make the reinstallation process more manageable.
- Avoid cutting or splicing wires as much as possible to prevent damage or system malfunction.
- Ensure that all connections are secure and tight to prevent any electrical issues or performance problems.
If you need further assistance with installing your motor controller, there are various tutorials and videos available online that can provide guidance. Some websites that offer helpful resources for installing remote control car motor controllers include RCGroups, RCUniverse, and Hobbytron.
How do I connect my RC remote to my car?
Connecting your RC remote to your car is a simple process that can be completed in a few steps:
- Make sure the battery in your remote is charged and your car’s battery is connected and charged.
- Turn on your remote and your car.
- Locate the pairing button on your car’s receiver. It is usually a small button on the receiver or a hole that needs to be pressed with a paperclip.
- Press and hold the pairing button while turning on your remote. The LED light on your receiver should start flashing, indicating that it is in pairing mode.
- Press and release the pairing button on your remote. The LED light on your receiver should stop flashing, indicating that it is now connected to your remote.
- Test your connection by moving the controls on your remote. Your car should respond to your commands.
If you are having trouble connecting your remote to your car, consult your user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
There are also several websites and products available that can help with RC car troubleshooting and connection issues, such as RC Driver and RC Planet.
Top 12V Remote Control Car Motor Controllers in the Market
When it comes to buying a 12V remote control car motor controller, there are various options available in the market. Here are some of the best brands and models to consider:
- Yeah Racing Hacktronic G2
- – Programmable via PC
- – Turbo timing technology
- – Supports sensored or sensorless motors
Price Range: $50-$70
- Castle Creations Mamba Monster X
- – Waterproof design
- – Telemetry capability
- – Three driving modes
Price Range: $100-$150
- Novak Timbuk2
- – Adjustable drag brake
- – No cogging or motor skipping
- – Thermal protection
Price Range: $70-$90
These are just a few examples of the best 12V remote control car motor controllers available in the market. It’s important to choose a motor controller that best fits your specific needs and budget. Some websites that offer detailed reviews and comparisons of different 12V motor controllers include RCDrivers.com, AMainHobbies.com, and RCPlanet.com.
Which is the best RC remote control car?
Choosing the best RC remote control car depends on several factors such as budget, speed, durability, and intended use. Here are some popular options in the market:
|Traxxas Rustler 4X4 VXL
|ARRMA Typhon 3S BLX
|Team Associated B6.2
Some websites that can help you choose the best RC car for your needs are HobbyTron, Tower Hobbies, and Amazon. It is always important to read reviews and do research before making a purchase.
Upgrading your remote control car with a 12V motor controller can be a game-changer in terms of speed, power, and control. By understanding the basics of remote control car motor controllers and knowing which factors to consider when making a purchase, you can ensure that you make a well-informed decision. Ultimately, the brand and model of the motor controller should depend on your specific needs and budget. Researching and comparing different options can help you make a wise investment towards taking your remote control car experience to the next level. So go ahead and take the necessary steps to upgrade your remote control car with a 12v motor controller and experience the thrill of the ride!