Mastering RC Plane Covering Techniques: Tips and Tools
RC plane covering is an essential procedure required to give a finished appearance to a remote control airplane. By using covering materials, RC plane owners can customize their aircraft with unique patterns and colors. RC plane covering offers durable protection against weather conditions and adds a layer of strength to the plane. There is a wide range of covering materials available for RC plane covering, with the most popular being heat-shrinkable plastic film. Heat-shrinkable plastic film is cost-effective, customizable, and easy to apply. Another type of covering material is the fibreglass cloth, which is a durable option that is commonly used by advanced hobbyists. Foam covering is another option and is best used for impact resistance and insulation.
Types of RC Plane Covering Materials
There is a wide range of covering materials available for RC plane covering, with the most popular being heat-shrinkable plastic film. Here are some popular types of covering materials:
- Heat-shrinkable plastic film: cost-effective, customizable, and easy to apply.
- Fiberglass cloth: durable, commonly used by advanced hobbyists.
- Foam covering: best used for impact resistance and insulation.
RC plane owners can purchase these materials at a hobby store or online retailers, such as Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, or HobbyKing. In addition to covering materials, RC modelers should also invest in quality tools for the covering process. Tools required include an iron, scalpel, cutting mat, covering scissors, and a heat gun.
What tools are required for RC plane covering?
The tools required for RC plane covering include a covering material (such as heat-shrink covering or adhesive-backed covering), iron or heat gun, scissors, hobby knife, sealer, trim solvent, and a covering stand.
Essential Tools for RC Plane Covering
The RC plane covering process requires a variety of tools, including an iron, scalpel, cutting mat, and covering scissors. Here are the essential tools required for RC plane covering:
– Iron: Used to bond the covering material to the RC plane
– Scalpel: Used for cutting, trimming, and shaping the covering material
– Cutting mat: Protects the workspace and provides an even surface for cutting
– Covering scissors: Designed to cut through the covering material without causing any damage
– Heat gun: Used to tighten up any loose or baggy coverings
RC plane owners can purchase these tools at hobby stores, online retailers, or utilize their existing tools. It’s important to use high-quality tools to ensure the covering process is done correctly and efficiently.
Interesting fact: Some hobby stores sell RC plane covering kits that include all the necessary tools and materials for covering.
What are some recommended places to purchase RC plane covering tools?
Some recommended places to purchase RC plane covering tools are Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, and Amazon.
Essential Steps for RC Plane Covering
To prepare for RC plane covering, there are a few steps that need to be taken. Here are the essential steps to prepare for RC plane covering:
- Clean the RC plane and remove any dirt, grease, or debris
- Ensure the plane surface is flat and smooth to prevent air bubbles from forming under the covering material
- Measure and cut the covering material to the required length
- Overlap the covering material around each surface of the plane and secure it with masking tape
RC plane owners can purchase covering materials from hobby stores, online retailers, or use household materials such as tissue paper or plastic wrap. Interesting fact: There are several online forums dedicated to RC plane covering techniques and tips. These forums allow RC modelers to share their experiences, ask questions, and learn new techniques.
What are some common materials used for RC plane covering?
Common materials used for RC plane covering include balsa wood, foam, Monokote, Ultracote, Oracover, and fiberglass.
Essential Techniques for Perfect RC Plane Covering
Covering RC plane requires different techniques for different parts of the plane. Here are some of the essential techniques used for RC plane covering:
- Pin and iron technique: By pinning out the covering material on the wing and using a heat gun to shrink it, this technique helps to produce the best results
- Overlap technique: This technique involves overlapping the covering material while shaping it with a heat gun to give the plane a smooth appearance
- Trimming technique: Trimming the overlapping edges with a sharp blade to obtain a smooth finish
- Ironing technique: Continuously giving heat to the covering material to get rid of any wrinkles, air pockets, or any defects on the plane surface
Aside from online forums and hobby stores, various tutorial videos are available on popular video hosting sites that teach the step-by-step RC plane covering techniques. These videos help RC modelers learn the tips and tricks for covering their planes with ease.
What are some tutorial videos available for learning RC plane covering techniques?
There are several tutorial videos available on YouTube for learning RC plane covering techniques, including videos by Flite Test, RCModelReviews, and HobbyKing.
Finishing and Personalizing Your RC Plane
Once the RC plane covering process is complete, the RC plane requires trimming and finishing for the desired look. Some of the essential steps for trimming and finishing RC planes include:
- Trimming overlap edges with a sharp blade to obtain a smooth finish
- Use a heat gun to tighten or shrink the covering material for that neat and taut finish
- Adding decals, stripes, or other accessories to the plane surface to give it individuality and personalized touch
- Providing protection to the bare wood parts of the plane surface by adding protective layers of clear coating
There are numerous online stores and websites available for RC plane aficionados to purchase covering materials, tools, and accessories. HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies, and Horizon Hobby are some of the most popular websites to purchase RC plane covering equipment and materials. Moreover, there are many online forums and communities where RC modelers discuss their experiences with covering, trimming, and finishing RC planes. These forums offer an excellent opportunity to learn from experienced RC modelers to obtain knowledge for a smooth RC plane covering, trimming & finishing process.
What are some popular websites to purchase RC plane covering equipment and materials?
Some popular websites to purchase RC plane covering equipment and materials are HobbyKing, Tower Hobbies, AMain Hobbies, and Amazon.
In summary, RC plane covering is an essential aspect of building a remote control airplane. It not only protects the plane from weather conditions and damage but also gives it a unique and personalized touch. There are various materials available in the market for RC plane covering, with heat-shrinkable plastic film being the most popular. The process of RC plane covering requires patience, skill, and the right tools. Trimming and finishing are essential steps in the RC plane covering process. With the appropriate tools and materials, RC modelers can personalize their planes with unique designs and patterns.
To ensure that the plane is well-protected and finished to perfection, it’s important to take the time to master the skills needed to apply the coverings effectively. RC planes are expensive, and owners must maintain and treat them with care. RC modelers should consider the available resources such as forums and websites that provide additional tips and advice on the covering, trimming & finishing process.
Overall, RC plane covering is a great way to customize and protect remote control airplanes while making them stand out. A well-applied covering will not only extend the lifespan of the RC plane but also make the flying experience enjoyable and stress-free.