1/8 Scale RC Monster Trucks: A Complete Guide
RC (remote control) monster trucks are a thrilling and exciting hobby for many people, both young and old. They come in various types and sizes, but one popular scale for these trucks is the 1/8 scale. The 1/8 scale is larger than the smaller 1/10 and 1/12 scales, giving it a more realistic appearance. It’s an ideal size for hobbyists who want a truck that’s not too expensive but still provides a fun and enjoyable experience. In this article, we will discuss the different types of 1/8 scale RC monster trucks available, the factors to consider before purchasing, and the necessary maintenance and upkeep required to keep your truck running smoothly. If you’re new to the hobby or considering purchasing a 1/8 scale RC monster truck, read on to learn more about this fun and exhilarating pastime.
Types of 1/8 Scale RC Monster Trucks
There are various types of 1/8 scale RC monster trucks available, and each type has its benefits and drawbacks. Here are some of the most common types you’ll find:
- Electric-powered RC monster trucks: These are popular for beginners, since they are relatively simple to use and maintain. They are also quite affordable and can provide decent performance, although not as high as nitro or gas-powered trucks.
- Nitro-powered RC monster trucks: These generate a more realistic engine sound and offer better performance than electric-powered trucks, making them suitable for skilled and experienced hobbyists. They require more maintenance and are usually more expensive than electric-powered trucks, but they offer a more realistic driving experience.
- Gas-powered RC monster trucks: These provide the highest performance and run time of all RC trucks. They require less maintenance than nitro-powered trucks, but are more expensive and harder to find parts for when something goes wrong.
Various brands offer these types of 1/8 scale RC monster trucks, including Traxxas, HPI Racing, and Redcat Racing, among others. Each brand has distinctive features and quality, so it’s important to do research and gather information before purchasing. Websites such as Amazon, eBay and HobbyKing offer various 1/8 scale RC monster trucks, parts and accessories for purchase to make shopping easier.
Factors to Consider
Before purchasing a 1/8 scale RC monster truck, there are some important factors to consider. Here are some of them:
- Budget: Consider the cost of the truck, as well as additional accessories and parts you may need.
- Type of use: Determine whether you want to use your truck for racing or casual driving, as this will affect the kind of truck you buy.
- Level of experience: Consider your skill level and whether the truck you’re interested in is suitable for it, or if it is too advanced for your current level.
- Brand: Check the brand’s reputation and reliability, as well as the availability of parts and accessories.
- Size: A 1/8 scale RC monster truck is a medium-sized vehicle with a length of around 18-20 inches, so make sure it can fit your space requirements.
It is also worth noting that 1/8 scale RC monster trucks require regular maintenance and occasional repairs, especially if you drive them frequently. Common issues include worn out suspension parts, loose or damaged gears, worn out tires, and broken or corroded wires. To help you keep your truck in tiptop condition, there are various websites and forums dedicated to RC truck enthusiasts, such as rcgroups.com and rccrawler.com. These sites provide valuable advice on maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and troubleshooting.
If you’re willing to invest more in your hobby and want to meet other RC enthusiasts, there are various clubs and organizations devoted to the sport around the world. You can also participate in competitions and events to challenge your skills against other RC enthusiasts.
To help you compare the various 1/8 scale RC monster trucks and their specifications, we have created a table:
|HPI Racing||Savage XL||Nitro||45mph||20 mins||$699|
|Redcat Racing||EARTHQUAKE 3.5||Nitro||50mph||15-20 mins||$319.99|
How do you maintain an RC car?
To maintain an RC car, you need to follow a few basic steps:
- After every use, clean the car thoroughly. Remove any dirt, dust, or debris from the car’s body, tires, and undercarriage.
- Check all the screws and connections to ensure they are tightened properly and securely.
- Check the tires for wear and tear. Replace them if necessary.
- Check the battery and charger for any damages or issues.
- Store the car in a cool and dry place when not in use.
In addition to these basic steps, you may need to perform routine maintenance tasks like replacing worn out parts, lubricating the gears, and fine-tuning the suspension system. There are several websites that offer tips and advice on maintaining RC cars, such as RC Car Action, RC Car Tips, and HotRod Hobbies. You can also find specialized products like cleaners, lubes, and maintenance kits from popular brands such as Traxxas, Losi, and HPI Racing.
Maintenance and Upkeep
To ensure that your 1/8 scale RC monster truck stays in good condition and continues to perform well, it’s important to perform regular maintenance and upkeep. Here are some tips:
- Clean your truck after every use to prevent dirt and grime buildup that can cause damage to the components. Use a soft-bristled brush and a mild soap solution to clean the body, chassis, and wheels.
- Inspect your truck for damage such as cracks, chips, bent or broken parts, or other issues that need repair.
- Replace worn out parts as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the truck. It’s a good idea to keep spare parts on hand for quick replacements.
- Check the battery, electronics, and motor regularly for proper functioning and replace any parts that are damaged or malfunctioning.
- Keep your truck lubricated by applying oil or grease to the moving parts such as gears, bearings, and axles. This helps prevent friction and wear and tear.
In addition to these maintenance tips, there are several websites and forums dedicated to providing advice and support for RC truck owners. Some of the most popular sites include:
These websites offer a wealth of information on maintenance, upgrades, repairs, and troubleshooting, as well as a community of RC truck enthusiasts who are happy to share their knowledge and experiences.
When it comes to products that can help you maintain and repair your 1/8 scale RC monster truck, there are various options available on the market. Some popular brands and products include:
- Traxxas – offers a range of maintenance and repair products including oils, greases, cleaners, and replacement parts.
- Amain Hobbies – offers a wide selection of maintenance and upgrade products for RC trucks including oils, tools, replacement parts, and performance upgrades.
- The Toyz – specializes in aftermarket parts and accessories for RC trucks, including custom bodies, wheels, and tires.
- Hobbytown – offers a range of maintenance and repair products including oils, cleaners, and replacement parts for RC trucks.
In summary, if you’re looking for a fun and engaging hobby, 1/8 scale RC monster truck driving is a great choice. With a range of trucks available, from beginner-friendly options to more advanced models, there’s a truck to suit almost any skill level and budget. By considering factors such as the intended use, brand and type of truck, and performing regular maintenance and upkeep, you can enjoy many hours of driving fun.
Furthermore, RC trucks offer a great way to spend quality time with friends and family, as well as an opportunity to participate in competitive events and race meets. Electric-powered trucks are popular entry-level options that are affordable and offer ease of use, while nitro-powered and gas-powered trucks offer a more authentic, exciting experience for intermediate and advanced hobbyists.
So why not check out the many different 1/8 scale RC monster trucks available today and find the one that’s right for you? With a little time and effort invested in maintenance and upkeep, you can enjoy years of fun and exciting driving with your very own RC truck.