Is Tello Drone Waterproof? What You Need to Know
Tello drone is a popular option for drone enthusiasts looking for an affordable and easy-to-use drone that delivers high-quality videos and photos. However, one question that arises for prospective buyers is whether Tello drone is waterproof or not. Waterproofing is an essential feature for drone users who plan to fly their drones near bodies of water, in rainy or snowy conditions, or in environments with high humidity. In this article, we will explore the topic of whether Tello drone is waterproof or not. We will cover the importance of waterproofing in drones, Tello drone’s water resistance capabilities, tips for protecting the drone from water damage, and a list of popular waterproof drones to consider. By the end of this article, you will have a clearer understanding of the water resistance features of Tello drone, and whether it’s the right option for your needs.
Understanding Waterproofing in Drones
Before we dive into whether Tello drone is waterproof or not, let’s first discuss the importance of waterproofing in drones and the common waterproofing methods and materials used:
- Waterproofing is crucial for drones used for aerial photography or videography near bodies of water, on rainy or snowy days, or in environments with high humidity.
- The two most common methods of waterproofing drones are:
- Applying a waterproof coating to the exterior of the drone.
- Using a waterproof case or bag to protect the drone from exposure to water.
- Common materials used for waterproofing drones include:
- Silicone sealants
- Waterproof tapes
Note that most drones are not inherently waterproof and need additional measures to make them waterproof.
You can learn more about waterproofing for drones at dronethusiast.com.
Do waterproof drones exist?
Yes, waterproof drones do exist. Here are a few examples:
- The Swellpro Splash Drone 3 is a waterproof drone that can land and take off from water. It has a 4K camera and can fly up to 15 minutes.
- The PowerVision PowerEye is another waterproof drone that has a 4K camera and can fly up to 29 minutes.
- The DJI Mavic Pro is not waterproof, but it has a waterproof accessory called the AquaDrone that allows it to land and take off from water.
Tello Drone’s Water Resistance
So, the big question is: Is Tello drone waterproof? Unfortunately, the answer is no. Tello drone does not have an official IP rating for water resistance. However, it can withstand some exposure to water, such as light rain or water splashes. Here’s what you need to know:
|Water Exposure||Possible Damage|
|Light Rain or Splashes||No visible damage, but possible moisture buildup inside the drone.|
|Heavy Rain or Prolonged Exposure to Water||Water damage to the motors and circuitry, which can render the drone unusable.|
It’s important to exercise caution when flying Tello drone near water and to take measures to protect it from water damage.
Is Tello drone water resistant?
The Tello drone is not water resistant, meaning that it is not designed to be used in or around water. It is important to keep the drone dry at all times to avoid damage to the device. However, there are waterproof cases and bags available on the market that can provide protection for the drone during transportation or outdoor use.
If you are interested in purchasing a waterproof case or bag for your Tello drone, you can find them on various online retail websites such as Amazon, Best Buy or DJI’s official website.
Tips for Protecting Tello Drone from Water Damage
While Tello drone is not waterproof, there are steps you can take to protect it from water damage:
- Do not fly Tello drone in rainy or snowy weather.
- Minimize exposure to water, including light rain or water splashes.
- Use a third-party water-resistant case or bag to transport the drone in wet conditions.
- If Tello drone does come into contact with water, dry it thoroughly before attempting to power it on.
- Remove the battery from the drone immediately if it gets wet to prevent further damage.
With these precautions, you can minimize the risk of water damage and prolong the life of your Tello drone.
Can Tello drones fly in the rain?
- No, Tello drones are not designed to fly in the rain or wet conditions.
- Moisture can damage the drone’s motors and electrical components, which can lead to malfunction and crashes.
- It is recommended to avoid flying Tello drones in rainy or wet environments to ensure their optimal performance and lifespan.
For more information about Tello drones and their features, please visit the DJI website.
Popular Waterproof Drones to Consider
If you require a drone with better water resistance than Tello drone has to offer, there are several great options available:
- DJI Mavic 2: A high-end drone with a powerful camera and IP68-rated water resistance, making it capable of withstanding immersion in up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes.
- PowerVision PowerEye: A professional-grade drone designed for aerial photography and videography, with an IP43 rating for water resistance.
- Parrot Bebop 2 Power: A mid-range drone with a 14-megapixel camera and an IP52 rating for water resistance.
- SwellPro SplashDrone 3: A versatile drone specifically designed for use around water and maritime environments, with IP67-rated water resistance and the ability to land and take off on water.
These drones offer varying levels of water resistance and features to suit different needs, so be sure to do your research before making a purchase.
What drones are waterproof?
There are several drones available in the market that are waterproof. Here are a few examples:
- DJI Mavic 2 Pro
- DJI Phantom 4 Pro
- PowerVision PowerEye
- SwellPro SplashDrone 3
If you’re interested in purchasing a waterproof drone, it’s essential to check the drone’s specifications to ensure that it can withstand water exposure. Online stores such as Amazon offer a vast selection of waterproof drones.
While Tello drone is not waterproof, it can withstand some exposure to water. However, if you require a drone with better protection against water damage, it’s worth investing in a waterproof model that meets your needs.
When it comes to choosing a waterproof drone, consider your budget, intended usage, and features such as camera quality, flight time, and water resistance rating. Make sure to read reviews from other users and experts, as well as check out drone comparison sites, to help you make an informed decision.
Remember that proper care and maintenance of your drone can also go a long way in protecting it from water damage. Always dry the drone thoroughly after use, especially if it has come into contact with water, and store it in a dry, moisture-free environment.
In conclusion, while Tello drone may not be the best option for those who need a waterproof drone, there are plenty of other models available that can meet your needs. Take the time to do your research and choose a drone that will suit your purposes and help you capture stunning aerial footage, without worrying about water damage.