How to Start a Nitro RC Car Without an Igniter
Nitro RC cars are an exciting pastime for hobbyists and enthusiasts alike. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of racing a perfectly tuned nitro engine to its limits. Unfortunately, there may come a time when you forget your igniter, leaving you unable to start your engine. This may feel like a major setback, but fear not – there are other ways to start your nitro RC car. This article covers a range of techniques and methods on how to start a nitro RC car without an igniter. Whether you’re at the track, at home, or out in the field, these tips will help you get your nitro engine up and running in no time. However, as we’ll discuss later, it’s always best to have an igniter on hand for your nitro RC car to ensure its safe and reliable operation over time. But with that said, let’s dive into some practical advice on how to start a nitro RC car without an igniter.
Pull Start Mechanism
One of the easiest ways to start a nitro RC car without an igniter is to use the pull start mechanism. Follow these steps to use your pull start:
- Remove the glow plug
- Pull the pull start
- Insert the glow plug back
This works because the pull start is a small cord attached to the engine that, when you pull it, rotates the engine and starts it. The pull start mechanism comes with most nitro RC cars, so you may not need to purchase any additional equipment. If you’re unsure how to use the pull start, consult your nitro RC car’s manual or search online for instructional videos. There are many resources available, including forums and websites dedicated to nitro RC cars, where you can find helpful advice and tips to get your engine started.
How do you pull start a nitro RC car?
To pull start a nitro RC car, follow these steps:
- Make sure the fuel tank is full, and the engine is warmed up.
- Find the starter cord, which is usually a brightly colored looped handle on top of the engine.
- Pull the cord out from the engine until you feel resistance.
- Give a sharp, firm tug on the cord to start the engine.
- Repeat until the engine starts.
If you’re having trouble starting your nitro RC car, consult the user manual or consider seeking advice from online hobbyist communities or support forums.
For related products and information on nitro RC cars, check out websites such as Horizon Hobby or Tower Hobbies.
Using a Hand-Held Drill
If you don’t have a pull start, you can still start your nitro RC car without an igniter by using a hand-held drill. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a drill bit that fits in the place where the igniter would go.
- Insert the drill bit into the engine.
- Make sure the throttle is open.
- Pull the trigger on the drill.
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind when starting your nitro RC car with a hand-held drill:
- Be sure to use a high-quality drill with a powerful motor to ensure that the engine starts quickly and effectively.
- Check the drill’s battery before starting, and make sure it has enough power to last throughout the starting process.
- Be careful not to over-rev the engine, as this can cause damage.
- Use a battery-powered drill — not a corded one — for safety reasons.
There are many high-quality drills available for starting nitro RC cars, including the Traxxas 5270R EZ-Start 2 System and the HPI Racing 87151 Starter Drill. You can find these and other products on hobbyist websites and online marketplaces.
|Traxxas||5270R EZ-Start 2 System||$99.99|
|HPI Racing||87151 Starter Drill||$22.99|
How do you start a nitro engine with a drill?
To start a nitro engine with a drill, first, remove the glow plug and insert the backplate of the starter box. Then, attach the drill to the starter box and push the starter box against the engine flywheel. Finally, pull the trigger of the drill to start the engine.
For more detailed instructions and tips, check out nitrorcx.com, where you can also find starter boxes and other tools for nitro engines.
Using a Hairdryer
If you’re in a bind and don’t have a pull start or a hand-held drill, you can use a hairdryer to help start your nitro RC car. Here’s how:
- Remove the glow plug from the engine.
- Heat up the engine with a hairdryer for a few minutes.
- Replace the glow plug.
- Pull the pull start to start the engine.
Here are some important things to remember when using a hairdryer to start your nitro RC car:
- Use a hairdryer with a high heat output to ensure that the engine heats up quickly and effectively.
- Avoid heating up the engine for too long, as this can cause damage.
- Be sure to turn off the hairdryer before starting the engine.
- Wear safety gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when working with the engine.
Hairdryers with high heat output, like the Conair InfinitiPRO 1875 Watt Salon Hair Dryer, can be found at most drugstores, big-box stores, and online retailers.
|Conair||InfinitiPRO 1875 Watt Salon Hair Dryer||$34.99|
|Remington||TStudio PROtect Hair Dryer||$69.99|
How do you start a glow starter on a Nitro RC car?
Starting a glow starter on a Nitro RC car can be a bit tricky if you are new to the hobby. Here are the steps to do it correctly:
- Charge your glow starter using a glow starter charger. Most glow starters come with a charger, or you can purchase one online or at your local hobby shop.
- Insert the glow starter into the heat sink located on the Nitro engine.
- Turn on the transmitter, followed by the receiver, and then the Nitro engine.
- Hold the glow starter on the heat sink for about 10 seconds until the engine starts running.
- Remove the glow starter from the heat sink and enjoy your Nitro RC car.
If you need help finding a glow starter or other Nitro RC car parts and accessories, check out websites such as Amain Hobbies, Tower Hobbies, and Hobbytown.
Making a Makeshift Igniter
If you find yourself without a hairdryer or any other tools for starting your nitro RC car, you can create a makeshift igniter using a 9-volt battery and some wires. Here’s how:
- Attach a wire to the positive and negative terminals of the 9-volt battery.
- Touch the wires to the glow plug to ignite it.
When making a makeshift igniter, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
- Handle the battery with care to avoid injury or damage.
- Only touch the wires to the glow plug for a short period to avoid overheating.
- Be sure to wear protective gear, like gloves and eye protection, when working with the engine.
9-volt batteries and wires can be found at most hardware stores, big-box stores, and online retailers.
|Duracell||CopperTop 9V Alkaline Batteries – 4 Pack||$10.99|
|The Hillman Group||18 Gauge Multi-Purpose Wire – 50 ft||$9.99|
You can find Duracell CopperTop 9V Alkaline Batteries – 4 Pack and The Hillman Group 18 Gauge Multi-Purpose Wire – 50 ft at hardware stores or online retailers.
How do you make a simple igniter?
To make a simple igniter, you will need the following materials:
- Steel wool
- Strip both ends of the wire.
- Connect one end of the wire to the battery.
- Wrap the other end of the wire around the steel wool.
- Touch the steel wool with the wire connected to the battery to ignite it.
Please note that this is only intended for personal experimentation and should be approached with caution. Safety is a top priority when handling materials that have the potential for ignition.
If you’re interested in learning more about DIY projects, you can visit websites like DIY Network, Instructables or Popular Mechanics.
Safety Precautions When Starting a Nitro RC car without an Igniter
Starting your nitro RC car without an igniter can be a little more dangerous, so it’s important to take extra safety precautions. Here are some tips:
- Wear gloves and eye protection to avoid injury from debris, fuel, or the engine itself.
- Make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling toxic fumes.
- Keep your body and face away from the carburetor and engine to avoid getting burned or getting sprayed with fuel.
- Never use your fingers to start the engine.
- Always make sure the throttle is open and the exhaust pipe is pointed away from you before attempting to start the engine.
If you’re new to starting a nitro RC car, you may want to consider finding a friend or a professional who can show you the ropes. There are also many online forums and websites dedicated to RC cars that can provide helpful tips and advice for beginners.
One such website is RC Universe, which offers forums, articles, classifieds, and resources for RC car enthusiasts of all levels. Other online retailers like Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobbies also offer a wide selection of RC car parts, tools, and accessories for all of your RC needs.
How do you start a nitro RC car with pull start?
If you’re new to nitro RC cars, starting one with a pull start may seem tricky at first, but with these simple steps, you’ll be able to start your nitro RC car in no time:
- Check fuel and oil levels.
- Turn on the transmitter and receiver.
- Prime the engine by snapping the throttle a few times or using a primer pump.
- Secure the car and hold the pull starter firmly so that it doesn’t slip.
- Pull the starter cord quickly and smoothly until the engine ignites.
- Once the engine is running, remove the glow igniter and let the car warm up.
- After a few minutes, your nitro RC car is ready to roll!
It’s important to follow the instructions that came with your specific RC car for best results. Additionally, websites like NitroRCX.com offer a wide range of nitro RC car products, including starter kits, fuel, oil, and more.
Starting a nitro RC car without an igniter may seem daunting at first, but with these tips and precautions, it can be done safely and effectively. From using a pull start mechanism or a hand-held drill, to warming up the engine with a hairdryer or making a makeshift igniter, there are several methods you can try.
However, it’s important to note that these methods may not work for everyone, and it’s always best to have an igniter on hand. It’s also crucial to take safety precautions seriously to avoid any accidents or injuries.
Remember to wear protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and never start your engine with your fingers. Additionally, seeking advice from other RC car enthusiasts and utilizing resources like RC Universe or online retailers like Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobbies can help you gain knowledge and stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies in the world of RC cars.
In conclusion, starting a nitro RC car without an igniter can be a fun and rewarding challenge, but it’s important to do it safely and familiarize yourself with the different methods and tools available for starting your engine. So, why not give it a try?