Connecting Tello Drone to WiFi Extender: A Step-by-Step Guide
The Tello drone is an entry-level flying camera that offers an impressive flight time, a stable flight experience, and a decent camera. However, its limited range of 100 meters can be a significant drawback, especially for outdoor drone enthusiasts. That’s where wifi extenders come into play; they can significantly increase your Tello drone’s distance and provide you with more freedom to explore and take stunning aerial shots. In this article, we’ll go over how to connect your Tello drone to a wifi extender, step by step. Whether you’re new to drone flying or an experienced user, the process is simple and straightforward. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can connect your Tello drone to a compatible wifi extender and fly your drone even further than you thought was possible. So, let’s get started and explore the possibilities of extending your Tello drone’s range with a wifi extender.
What is a wifi extender?
Before we start diving into how to connect your Tello drone to a wifi extender, let’s take a few moments to understand what a wifi extender is and how it works.
- A wifi extender is a device designed to amplify and rebroadcast your existing wireless signal, essentially expanding your wireless network’s coverage area.
- It works as a relay between your wireless router and your Tello drone by picking up the existing signal from your router and amplifying and rebroadcasting it where needed.
- Wifi extenders are beneficial when you have large homes, multiple stories or walls, which tend to interfere with wifi signals.
- There are many types of wifi extenders available in the market, and choosing the right one can make or break your Tello drone‘s connection.
- Make sure that your wifi extender supports 2.4 GHz wifi frequency, as this is the frequency used by the Tello drone.
- Popular brands of wifi extenders include Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, and D-Link.
Now that we know a bit about wifi extenders let’s move on to connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender.
How do I connect my Tello drone to my Wi-Fi extender?
To connect your Tello drone to your Wi-Fi extender, follow these simple steps:
- Make sure your Tello drone and Wi-Fi extender are powered on.
- Connect your mobile device to the Wi-Fi network of the extender.
- Open the Tello app and tap on the Settings icon.
- Select “Wi-Fi settings” and then select “Scan Wi-Fi Extender”.
- Select your Wi-Fi extender from the list of available networks.
- Enter the password for your Wi-Fi extender if prompted.
- Wait for the drone to connect to the extender and start flying!
For more detailed instructions and troubleshooting tips, check out the Tello website or user manual.
Before you start connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender, it’s essential to check if your drone and the wifi extender are compatible. Here are some things you need to consider:
|Tello Drone||Wifi Extender|
|The Tello drone requires a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal to connect.||The wifi extender must support 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi frequency.|
|The drone requires at least a class 10 speed memory card for recording.||The extender should have good speed and bandwidth to handle data transfer.|
|The drone requires a device with Wi-Fi (802.11n) to connect.||The wifi extender should support Wi-Fi (802.11n) or higher to connect.|
Note that not all wifi extenders work with the Tello drone. Before purchasing a wifi extender, check the manufacturer’s website for compatible products.
Once you’ve ensured compatibility, you’re ready to connect your Tello drone to your wifi extender.
Can you use WiFi extender on drone?
Yes, you can use a Wi-Fi extender on a drone to improve its connectivity and extend the range of your drone’s remote control. However, it is important to make sure that the Wi-Fi extender is compatible with your drone’s controller and camera.
Some popular Wi-Fi extenders for drones include:
- Tello WiFi Range Extender by Rantow
- DJI Mavic Mini Wi-Fi range extender by FStop Labs
- EECOO Wi-Fi Range Extender for DJI Mavic Pro
It is recommended to do thorough research before purchasing a Wi-Fi extender for your drone to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
Connecting Your Tello Drone to a Wifi Extender
Connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender is a straightforward process that involves a few simple steps. Here’s how:
- Set up your wifi extender and ensure that it’s broadcasting a signal.
- Open the Tello app and connect your smartphone or tablet to the Tello drone as usual.
- Go to the app settings and select ‘Wi-Fi’ from the menu.
- Select the wifi extender network from the available network list.
- Enter the wifi extender password if it’s password-protected.
- Tap ‘Join,’ and your Tello drone should connect to the wifi extender.
- You’re now ready to fly your drone with extended range!
Connecting your Tello drone to a compatible wifi extender is an excellent way to increase its range and improve your flying experience. You can find compatible wifi extenders on the DJI Tello website or by reading reviews from other drone enthusiasts who have successfully connected their drones to wifi extenders.
Can you use Wi-Fi extender on drone?
Yes, you can use a Wi-Fi extender on your drone to increase its range and improve connectivity. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the extender is compatible with your drone and controller.
- Choose an extender with a directional antenna to boost the signal in a specific direction.
- Test the extender’s range and connectivity before taking your drone on a flight.
Some popular Wi-Fi extenders for drones include:
- Parrot Skycontroller 2
- DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Remote Controller
- Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi Repeater 2
Troubleshooting Common Issues
While connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender is a straightforward process, you may encounter a few issues during the setup. Here are some troubleshooting tips that can help:
Issue: Can’t see the wifi extender network in the Tello app
- Make sure that the wifi extender is turned on and broadcasting its signal.
- Move the Tello drone closer to the wifi extender and try again.
- Reset both the wifi extender and the Tello drone and try again.
- Check that your wifi extender is compatible with the Tello drone.
- Try updating the firmware for both the Tello drone and the wifi extender.
Issue: Unable to connect to the wifi extender network
- Double-check that you’re entering the correct password for the wifi extender network.
- Ensure that the wifi extender is broadcasting on the 2.4 GHz frequency.
- Try resetting both the wifi extender and the Tello drone.
- Make sure that your wifi extender is properly set up and configured.
- Contact customer support for your wifi extender if you’re still having issues.
By following these tips, you should be able to troubleshoot any issues you encounter when connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender and enjoy extended range on your drone flights.
Why I Cannot Connect to My Wi-Fi Extender?
There could be several reasons why you are struggling to connect to your Wi-Fi extender. Here are some common issues and troubleshooting tips:
- Ensure that the Wi-Fi extender is receiving power and is properly plugged in.
- Make sure the extender is situated within the range of your router’s Wi-Fi signal.
- Try resetting your Wi-Fi extender to its default settings and configure it again.
- Check if your device is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network (original router or extender).
- Verify that your router has the latest firmware update installed.
- If none of the above steps work, consider contacting the manufacturer or visiting their website for further assistance or troubleshooting.
If you are looking for a reliable Wi-Fi extender, consider checking out top-rated products on websites like Amazon, Best Buy, or PCMag to find the best one for your needs.
Connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender can take the flying experience to a new level by significantly expanding the range of the drone. With a reliable wifi extender, you can fly the drone in remote areas or even indoors without losing a stable connection.
Before connecting your Tello drone to a wifi extender, ensure that the extender is 2.4 GHz compatible and that you are within the range of the extender. Troubleshoot any issues that may come up following the steps outlined in this article.
In case you experience difficulties with setting up your wifi extender or following the steps given in this article, you can always check the user manual or contact customer support for assistance.
In conclusion, by following the steps covered in this article and troubleshooting any problems, you will be able to enhance your Tello drone’s connectivity by connecting it to a wifi extender. Enjoy your extended flying range!