How to Change Pinion Gear on Traxxas Stampede: A Step-by-Step Guide
Traxxas Stampede is a popular hobby-grade remote-controlled truck that delivers an exhilarating off-road experience. The vehicle’s durability and versatility make it an ideal choice for enthusiasts who love bashing or racing their RC trucks. Moreover, changing the pinion gear is a common upgrade among Traxxas Stampede owners who want to improve their truck’s speed, torque or acceleration. If you’re planning to change your truck’s pinion gear, it’s essential to understand what a pinion gear is, how it works, and what benefits it can bring you. In this article, we’ll show you how to change the pinion gear on a Traxxas Stampede step-by-step. You’ll learn what tools you need, how to identify the old and new pinion gears, how to remove the old gear, how to install the new gear, how to set the gear mesh correctly, and how to test your truck’s performance after the upgrade. By following our instructions carefully, you’ll be able to change the pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede in under an hour, and enjoy the full potential of your RC truck on any terrain.
What is a Pinion Gear?
A pinion gear is a small gear that connects to the motor shaft and meshes with the spur gear. As the motor spins the pinion gear, it causes the spur gear to rotate, which in turn rotates the wheels. The pinion gear’s size determines how many times the spur gear turns in a complete revolution, and thus affects the truck’s speed and torque. Choosing the right size of pinion gear is crucial to optimize your truck’s performance for your specific needs. Some important considerations when changing your pinion gear are:
- The pinion gear’s pitch and the spur gear’s pitch must be compatible.
- The pinion gear’s teeth must mesh tightly with the spur gear’s teeth for maximum efficiency.
- Changing the pinion gear affects the truck’s motor temperature and battery life.
- Using high-quality pinion gears made of steel or aluminum ensures durability and precision.
If you’re unsure about what pinion gear size to choose, or how to determine the pitch of your truck’s gears, you can consult the Traxxas website, which provides detailed information on all Traxxas models, including the Stampede. Additionally, there are many online forums and YouTube channels dedicated to RC enthusiasts, where you can find helpful tips and tutorials from other Traxxas Stampede owners. When purchasing a new pinion gear, make sure to choose a reputable brand that offers a variety of sizes and materials, such as Robinson Racing or Hot Racing, to ensure compatibility and quality.
What does changing the pinion gear do?
Changing the pinion gear in a car’s differential can have a significant impact on its performance. Here are some things that can happen when you change the pinion gear:
- Increased torque: A smaller pinion gear will increase the amount of torque available to the rear wheels.
- Higher top speed: A larger pinion gear will reduce the RPMs of the engine at high speed.
- Better acceleration: A smaller pinion gear will allow the car to accelerate more quickly from a stop.
- Improved fuel economy: A larger pinion gear can help to reduce engine RPMs when cruising, resulting in better fuel economy.
If you’re looking to upgrade your car’s performance, changing the pinion gear can be a simple and effective solution. However, it’s important to note that changing the gear ratio can affect other parts of the car, so it’s best to consult with a professional mechanic before making the switch.
Identifying the Pinion Gear
Before you can change the pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede, you need to identify which one to replace. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the truck’s body cover to gain access to the motor and gears.
- Look for the small gear that connects to the motor shaft, next to the spur gear. This is the pinion gear.
- Count the number of teeth on the pinion gear. This information is usually printed on the gear itself, or you can use a magnifying glass to see the count more clearly.
Once you have identified the number of teeth on the pinion gear, you can consult the Traxxas website or other online resources to choose the right replacement gear. Here is a table that shows the recommended pinion gear sizes for the 2WD and 4WD Traxxas Stampede:
|2WD Stampede||4WD Stampede|
|Motor||Pinion Gear||Motor||Pinion Gear|
|VXL-3S||19 – 28T||VXL-3S||17 – 24T|
|VXL-3M||19 – 28T||VXL-3M||17 – 24T|
|Titan 12T||19 – 28T||Titan 550||14 – 19T|
Note that these are only general guidelines, and the optimal pinion gear size for your specific application may differ based on factors such as battery voltage, truck weight, and driving conditions.
What Pinion Gear is on the Traxxas Stampede?
The Traxxas Stampede comes with a 48-pitch, 19-tooth pinion gear. However, it’s essential to note that the pinion gear can be changed to suit specific needs or preferences.
For more information on Traxxas Stampede or pinion gear, visit Traxxas’ official website.
Removing the Pinion Gear
Now that you have identified the pinion gear that needs to be replaced, you can proceed with removing it. Here are a few methods you can try:
- Use a pinion gear puller tool to remove the gear from the motor shaft. Traxxas offers a variety of puller tools that are specifically designed for their vehicles. These tools are available at Traxxas dealers or on the Traxxas website.
- If you don’t have a puller tool, you can use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry the gear off the motor shaft. Be careful not to damage the motor or surrounding components.
- If the gear is stuck, you can try heating it up slightly with a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive.
Always use caution when removing the pinion gear to avoid damaging any of the surrounding components. Once you have successfully removed the gear, you can proceed with installing the new one using the instructions provided by Traxxas or other online resources.
How do you remove pinion gears from a Power Wheels motor?
To remove pinion gears from a Power Wheels motor, follow these simple steps:
- Disconnect the motor from the Power Wheels car.
- Remove the small metal clip securing the pinion gear to the motor shaft.
- Gently heat the pinion gear with a hairdryer or heat gun for a few seconds to soften the adhesive.
- Use a pair of pliers to gently wiggle and remove the pinion gear from the motor shaft.
If you are unsure about disassembling your Power Wheels motor or need replacement parts, check out the official Power Wheels website or online retailers such as Amazon or Walmart.
Installing the New Pinion Gear
Once you have removed the old pinion gear, it’s time to install the new one. Here are the steps to follow:
- Choose the right replacement pinion gear based on the gear ratio recommended by Traxxas for your particular Stampede model.
- Clean the motor shaft and pinion gear with a soft cloth to remove any debris or residue.
- Slide the new pinion gear onto the motor shaft, making sure it’s snug and centered.
- Adjust the mesh between the pinion gear and spur gear to the recommended setting. This should be specified in your owner’s manual or on the Traxxas website.
- Once the mesh is set correctly, tighten the set screw on the pinion gear using a hex driver.
Some additional tips to keep in mind when installing the new pinion gear:
- Make sure the gears are properly aligned and the teeth are mating correctly.
- Check the mesh several times as you tighten the set screw, to ensure it stays in place.
- If your pinion gear came with a new set screw, use it instead of the old one to ensure a tight fit.
By following these steps, you should have success in installing the new pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede. Remember to test the vehicle’s performance and make any necessary adjustments before taking it out for a spin.
How do you break in new ring and pinion gears?
- Drive at various speeds for short periods of time to distribute the heat evenly.
- Avoid extended use of the brakes, as this can cause excessive heat buildup.
- Change the gear oil after the first 500 miles of use to remove any debris or metal particles that may have been generated during the break-in period.
For more detailed instructions and tips on how to break in new ring and pinion gears, you can refer to online resources such as Yukon Gear & Axle’s website or consult with a professional mechanic.
Testing the Traxxas Stampede
After you’ve completed the pinion gear replacement, it’s time to test your Traxxas Stampede to ensure everything is working correctly. Here are some steps to follow:
- Start with a fresh battery pack to ensure optimal performance.
- Turn on the transmitter and then the vehicle.
- Test the acceleration of the vehicle by gradually increasing the speed: it should be smooth and free of hesitation or stuttering.
- Test the vehicle’s top speed and make sure it reaches the levels set by the pinion gear ratio recommended by the manufacturer.
- Test the braking system to ensure it responds correctly and quickly when you release the throttle.
If you notice any issues during testing, you may need to fine-tune the pinion gear mesh or double-check the installation steps. You can refer to the Traxxas website or forums for troubleshooting tips and advice.
In conclusion, learning how to change the pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede can help improve its overall performance and customize it to your preferences. By following the steps outlined in this article, you should be able to complete the process easily and successfully. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different pinion gear ratios to achieve the perfect balance of speed and torque for your driving style.
How do you change the pinion gear on a Traxxas?
Here are the steps to change the pinion gear on a Traxxas:
- Remove the grub screw holding the pinion gear in place using the correct size allen wrench.
- Screw in the new pinion gear onto the motor shaft.
- Align the new pinion gear with the gear on the spur gear assembly.
- Tighten the grub screw to secure the new pinion gear in place.
It’s important to make sure that the new pinion gear is compatible with the motor and spur gear assembly to prevent any damage to the vehicle. Traxxas offers a variety of pinion gears suitable for specific models on their website.
Replacing the pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede may seem daunting at first, but it’s a straightforward process with the right tools and instructions. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to change your pinion gear with ease and customize your vehicle’s performance to your liking.
Remember that different pinion gear ratios can impact your vehicle’s speed, acceleration, and torque, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different options to find the perfect fit for your driving style. Just be sure to test your vehicle thoroughly after each change to ensure it’s functioning correctly and safely.
If you encounter any issues or problems during the process, refer to the Traxxas website, forums, or contact customer support for assistance. And as always, be sure to practice safety measures when working with tools and machinery.
Now that you know how to change the pinion gear on your Traxxas Stampede, you can enhance your driving experience and take your RC racing to the next level. So get to it, and have fun!