The Top Beginner RC Helis for Easy and Fun Flying
Remote control helicopters, commonly referred to as RC helis, have become increasingly popular in recent years. They offer an unparalleled level of engagement, excitement, and control to users compared to traditional toy helicopters. But with a wide range of models available in the market, choosing the right one can be a bit challenging, especially for beginners. Whether you are looking to fly for fun, race against friends, or capture aerial footage, choosing the right RC heli can make all the difference. In this article, we’ll guide you through some of the best beginner RC helis in the market based on various factors, including ease of use, affordability, and durability. By the end of this article, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge needed to make an informed purchase that best suits your interests and needs.
Before we dive into the best beginner RC helis, it’s vital to understand the factors that can influence your decision. Here are some key points to consider:
- Controls: Look for models with intuitive controls that are easy to learn. Some models come with two-stick controllers, while others use a smartphone app for control.
- Size: RC helis come in different sizes, from small models that fit in your palm to larger ones that require outdoor flying space.
- Design: Some models have a coaxial rotor system that makes flying easier, while others have a collective pitch system that is more challenging but also more advanced.
- Price: RC helis can range from under $50 to several hundred dollars, depending on the features and capabilities you’re looking for.
- Brand: Looking for brands that are well-known in the industry can be helpful. Brands like Syma, Blade, and DJI have established reputations for quality and reliability.
- Battery life: Check the battery life of the RC heli before making a purchase. Some models come with rechargeable batteries, while others require AA or AAA batteries.
With these factors in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best beginner RC helis available in the market.
What size RC helicopter is best for beginner?
When it comes to choosing the size of an RC helicopter for beginners, it’s best to start small and work your way up. A mini or micro-sized helicopter with a rotor diameter of 150mm or less is recommended for beginners due to their durability and ease of control. These small-sized helicopters are also less expensive to repair or replace in case of a crash.
Here is a quick comparison table of popular mini/micro-sized RC helicopters for beginners:
|Blade Nano CP S||$99.99||170mm||SAFE technology for stability|
|E-flite Blade mCX2||$69.99||186mm||Two-speed control for beginner and advanced flying|
|Hubsan X4 H107C||$35.99||60mm||Built-in camera for aerial photography|
For further information about RC helicopters, there are many online resources available such as rcgroups.com and rcuniverse.com. These websites offer forums, product reviews, and tutorials for beginners.
Now that you’re familiar with the key factors to consider, let’s take a closer look at some of the best beginner RC heli options out there.
This is one of the most popular beginner RC helis on the market. It’s affordable, easy to fly, and durable. It’s also small in size, making it an excellent option for indoor flying.
This model uses a coaxial rotor system, making it stable in the air. It also comes equipped with SAFE technology, which helps prevent crashes and makes flying more intuitive for beginners.
If you’re looking for a more advanced beginner option, the Blade 230S could be a good choice. It has a collective pitch system that allows for more control and maneuverability. It’s also durable and good for outdoor flying.
DJI Mavic Mini:
This is a beginner-friendly RC heli that has some drone-like features, such as GPS tracking and 4K camera capabilities. It’s compact and easy to transport, making it an excellent option for those who want to capture aerial footage on-the-go. You can read more about it on the DJI website.
What RC helicopter is best for beginner?
When it comes to choosing an RC helicopter for beginners, it’s important to consider factors such as affordability, ease of use, and durability. Based on these factors, we recommend the following options:
|Blade||Nano CP S||$100-$150|
Some additional tips for beginners include:
- Start with a smaller helicopter, as they are easier to control and less expensive to repair if accidents happen.
- Practice in an open area with no obstacles or hazards nearby.
- Read the manual carefully and follow the instructions provided.
- Consider joining a local RC helicopter club to learn from experienced pilots and get tips for flying.
Websites such as Amazon, Hobbyking and Tower Hobbies offer a wide range of beginner-friendly RC helicopters at competitive prices.
Tips for Choosing the Best Beginner RC Heli
Choosing the best beginner RC heli can be a daunting task, especially if you’re not familiar with the different types and features available. Here are some tips to help you make the best choice for your needs:
- Consider the size: Smaller helis are more maneuverable and better suited for indoor flying, while larger ones may be better for outdoor use.
- Look at the rotor system: Options include coaxial and collective pitch systems. Coaxial systems are easier to fly but offer less control, while collective pitch offers more control but is more challenging to master.
- Think about durability: Beginner RC helis are likely to experience crashes, so it’s essential to choose one that can withstand some wear and tear.
- Consider the cost: While it’s tempting to go for the cheapest option, investing in a slightly more expensive model can pay off in the long run with better features and durability.
- Read reviews and do your research: Before making a purchase, take the time to read reviews from other users and do your research about the options available.
It’s worth noting that some beginner RC helis may come with additional accessories or features that can enhance the flying experience. For example, some Blade models come with a controller that includes a training mode feature to help beginners get started. Additionally, many models come with replacement parts to make repairs easier in case of any accidents.
When it comes to purchasing your first RC heli, there are many options available online and in stores. Popular websites include Amazon, Horizon Hobby, and Tower Hobbies. It’s essential to choose a reliable retailer and read product descriptions carefully to determine if a particular model is suitable for beginners.
How to choose a motor for RC helicopter?
Choosing the right motor for RC helicopter is essential for optimal performance. Here are some key factors to consider when selecting a motor:
- Size: The size of the motor should match the size of the helicopter. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for the appropriate motor size for your specific heli.
- KV Rating: The KV rating of the motor should also be considered. Higher KV motors are suitable for lighter helicopters while lower KV motors are better for heavier ones.
- Battery: Choose a motor that is compatible with the type of battery you plan to use.
- Flight Style: Choose a motor that matches the flight style you prefer, such as 3D, sport, or scale.
It’s important to do your research and consider all the factors before making a purchase. There are various resources available online, such as RcGroups.com, HobbyKing.com and HorizonHobby.com that provide information about different motors and their specifications.
Choosing the best beginner RC heli can be overwhelming, but with careful research and consideration, you can find the right option for your needs. Ultimately, your decision will depend on factors such as your skill level, budget, and intended use. Whether you’re looking for a simple coaxial model or a more advanced collective pitch option, there are many great beginner RC helis available on the market today.
When shopping for a beginner RC heli, be sure to choose a model that is durable and equipped with features that will help you grow your skills over time. Consider purchasing from reputable retailers and reading reviews from other users to determine which models are the best value for your money.
With the right beginner RC heli, you can enjoy endless hours of fun and excitement as you learn the ins and outs of remote control flight. Remember to prioritize safety and practice caution when flying, and you’ll be well on your way to becoming an experienced pilot in no time.